Srila Prabhupada’s Prayers on the Jaladuta
The following Bengali poems were written by Srila Prabhupada aboard the Jaladuta on his way to the United States on September 13th and September 18th 1965:
Prayer to the Lotus Feet of Sri Krishna
(Refrain) krishna tava punya habe bhai e-punya koribe jabe radharani sukhi habe dhruva ati boli toma tai
O Krishna, O brother, you may become fortunate in this way – if you make Radharani happy, all virtue will be bestowed upon You. This I surely declare unto You.
(1) sri-siddhanta saraswati shachi-suta priya ati krishna-sevaya yara tula nai sei se mahanta-guru jagater madhe uru krishna-bhakti deya thai thai
Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, who is very dear to Lord Gauranga, the son of mother Shachi, is unparalleled in his service to the Supreme Lord Sri Krishna. He is that great saintly spiritual master, most magnanimous within this universe, who bestows devotion to Krishna in various places throughout the world.
(2) tara iccha balavan pashchatyete than than hoy jate gauranger nama prithivite nagaradi asamudra nada nadi sakalei bole krishna rama
His desire is very powerful, and thus he is causing the Holy Name of Lord Gauranga to spread throughout all the countries of the Western World. In all the cities, towns, and villages on the earth, extending to all the oceans, rivers, and streams, everyone may chant the names of Krishna and Rama.
(3) tahale ananda hoy tabe hoy digvijaya chaitanyer kripa atishay maya dushta jata duḥkhi jagate sabai sukhi vaishnaver iccha purna hoy
Thus all directions will be conquered by a flood of transcendental ecstasy flowing with the excessive mercy of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. When all the miserable living entities that have been corrupted by maya become happy, then the Vaishnava's desire is fulfilled.
(4) se karya je koribare ajna yadi dilo more yogya nahi ati dina hina tai se tomara kripa magitechi anurupa aji tumi sabar pravina
Although my Guru Maharaja ordered me to accomplish this mission, I am unworthy to do it, being very fallen and incompetent. That being the case, O Lord Krishna, Your mercy is today arising in a befitting manner to make me become worthy, for You are the wisest of all.
(5) tomara se shakti pele guru-sevaya vastu mile jivana sarthak yadi hoy sei se seva paile tahale sukhi hale taba sanga bhagyate miloy
If You bestow Your divine power, then one attains the factual substance which is service to the spiritual master - and life becomes successful. If that service is obtained, then one becomes truly satisfied, and ultimately received Your association due to good fortune.
(6) evam janam nipatitam prabhavahikupe kamabhikamam anu yaḥ prapatan prasangat kritvatmasat surarshina bhagavan grihitah so 'ham katham nu visrije tava bhritya-sevam
(As stated by Prahlada Maharaja to Lord Nrsimhadeva in the Srimad Bhagavatam, 7.9.28:) "Thus, by associating with material desires one after another, I was following the general populace by falling into a blind well full of snakes. My dear Lord, O Supreme Personality of Godhead! Then the great sage Narada Muni kindly accepted me as his disciple, and instructed me how to achieve the transcendental position similar to his own. How could I ever leave the service of your servant?"
(7) tumi mora chira sathi bhuliya mayara lathi khaiyachi janma-janmantare aji punah e suyoga jadi hoy jogayoga tabe pari tunhe milibare
O Lord Krishna, You are my eternal companion. Forgetting You, I have suffered the kicking of maya birth after birth. If today the chance to meet You occurs again, then surely I will be able to rejoin You.
(8) tomara milane bhai abar se sukha pai gocarane ghuri din bhor kata bane chutachuti bane khai lutaluti sei din kabe habe mor
O my dear brother! In Your company I will experience great joy once again. Wandering about the pastures and fields, I will pass the entire day with You in tending the cows. Joking with You and frolicking throughout so many forests of Vraja, I will enjoy pastimes of stealing and eating one another’s lunch. When, oh when will that day be mine?
(9) aji se suvidha hala tomara smarana bhela baro asha ḍakilam tai ami tomara nitya-dasa tai kori eta asha tumi bina anya gati nai
Today that remembrance of being with You came to me in a very nice way. Feeling great longing I called out for You, O Lord Krishna! Only because I am Your eternal servant do I desire Your association so much. Except for You, I have no other refuge.
Markine Bhagavata Dharma
boro-kripa kaile krishna adhamera prati
ki lagiyanile hetha koro ebe gati
My dear Lord Krishna, You are so kind upon this useless soul, but I do not know why You have brought me here. Now You can do whatever You like with me.
(2) ache kichu karya tava ei anumane nahe keno anibena ei ugra-sthane
But I guess You have some business here, otherwise why would You bring me to this terrible place?
(3) rajas tamo gune era sabai acchanna vasudeva-katha ruchi nahe se prasanna
Most of the population here is covered by the material modes of ignorance and passion. Absorbed in material life, they think themselves very happy and satisfied, and therefore they have no taste for the transcendental message of Vasudeva. I do not know how they will be able to understand it.
(4) tabe yadi tava kripa hoy ahaituki sakal-i sambhava hoy tumi se kautuki
But I know Your causeless mercy can make everything possible because You are the most expert mystic.
(5) ki bhave bujhale tara bujhe sei rasa eta kripa koro prabhu kori nija-vasha
How will they understand the mellows of devotional service? O Lord, I am simply praying for Your mercy so that I will be able to convince them about Your message.
(6) tomara icchaya saba hoy maya-basha tomara icchaya nasha mayara parasha
All living entities have become under the control of the illusory energy by Your will, and therefore, if You like, by Your will they can also be released from the clutches of illusion.
tava iccha hoy yadi tadera uddhara
bujhibe nishcai tabe katha se tomara
I wish that You may deliver them. Therefore if You so desire their deliverance, then only will they be able to understand Your message.
(8) bhagavatera katha se tava avatara dhira haiya shune yadi kane bara bara
The words of Srimad Bhagavatam are Your incarnation, and if a sober person repeatedly receives it with submissive aural reception, then he will be able to understand Your message. It is said in the Srimad Bhagavatam (1.2.17-21):
shrinvatam sva-kathah krishnah punya-shravana-kirtanah hridy antah-stho hy abhadrani vidhunoti suhrit satam
nashta-prayeshv abhadreshu nityam bhagavata-sevaya bhagavaty uttama-shloke bhaktir bhavati naishthiki
tada rajas-tamo-bhavah kama-lobhadayash cha ye cheta etair anaviddham sthitam sattve prasidati
evamm prasanna-manaso bhagavad-bhakti-yogatah bhagavat-tattva-vijnanam mukta-sangasya jayate
bhidyate hridaya-granthish chidyante sarva-samshayah kshiyante chasya karmani drishta evatmanishvare
Sri Krishna, the Personality of Godhead, who is the Paramatma [Supersoul] in everyone’s heart and the benefactor of the truthful devotee, cleanses desire for material enjoyment from the heart of the devotee who has developed the urge to hear His messages, which are in themselves virtuous when properly heard and chanted. By regular attendance in classes on the Bhagavatam and by rendering of service to the pure devotee, all that is troublesome to the heart is almost completely destroyed, and loving service unto the Personality of Godhead, who is praised with transcendental songs, is established as an irrevocable fact. As soon as irrevocable loving service is established in the heart, the effects of nature’s modes of passion and ignorance, such as lust, desire and hankering, disappear from the heart. Then the devotee is established in goodness, and he becomes completely happy. Thus established in the mode of unalloyed goodness, the man whose mind has been enlivened by contact with devotional service to the Lord gains positive scientific knowledge of the Personality of Godhead in the stage of liberation from all material association. Thus the knot in the heart is pierced, and all misgivings are cut to pieces. The chain of fruitive actions is terminated when one sees the self as master.
(9) rajas tamo hate tabe paibe nistara hridayera abhadra sate ghucibe tahara
He will become liberated from the influence of the modes of ignorance and passion and thus all inauspicious things accumulated in the core of the heart will disappear.
(10) ki ko're bujhabo katha baro sei chahi kshudra ami dina hina kono shakti nahi
How will I make them understand this message of Krishna consciousness? I am very unfortunate, unqualified and the most fallen. Therefore I am seeking Your benediction so that I can convince them, for I am powerless to do so on my own.
(11) athacha enecho prabhu katha bolibare ye tomara iccha prabhu koro ei bare
Somehow or other, O Lord, You have brought me here to speak about You. Now, my Lord, it is up to You to make me a success or failure as You like.
(12) akhila jagat-guru! vachana se amara alankrita koribara kshamata tomara
O spiritual master of all the worlds! I can simply repeat Your message, so if You like You can make my power of speaking suitable for their understanding.
(13) tava kripa ha'le mor katha shuddha habe shuniya sabara shoka duhkha ye ghuchibe
Only by Your causeless mercy will my words become pure. I am sure that when this transcendental message penetrates their hearts they will certainly feel engladdened and thus become liberated from all unhappy conditions of life.
(14) aniyacho yadi prabhu amare nachate nachao nachao prabhu nahao se-mate kashthera puttali yatha nacao se-mate
O Lord, I am just like a puppet in Your hands. So if You have brought me here to dance, then make me dance, make me dance, O Lord, make me dance as You like.
(15) bhakti nai veda nai name khub daro ‘bhaktivedanta’ nama ebe sarthaka koro
I have no devotion, nor do I have any knowledge, but I have strong faith in the holy name of Krsna. I have been designated as Bhaktivedanta, and now, if You like, You can fulfill the real purport of Bhaktivedanta.